Wading through weight loss information can seem to be a confusing task. There are so many ideas, plans, and programs. It can be easy to end up so overwhelmed that you lose sight of what you started out to do. In this article we will reveal some sound tips to get you going again.
1. Know Your Daily Caloric Requirement – When starting a weight loss plan, you need to determine how many calories you should be having a day. Online calculators abound that will let you input your height, weight, age, activity level and the amount you want to lose and will provide you the total calories you should eat each day. If you know the calories you should consume each day, it’s much easier to stay within the guidelines.
2. Cut The Sugar – If you want to lose weight, try cutting sugar from your diet. Sugar adds a lot of unneeded calories to your diet. Sugar will often give you an energy boost, but it doesn’t last nearly as long as healthy foods and can leave you feeling drained afterwards. If you cut out sugar, you’ll cut out a lot of junk food. The less junk food you eat, the less calories you’ll take in.
3. Don’t Tempt Yourself, Eat BEFORE Shopping – A tip that may help you lose weight is to eat right before you do your grocery shopping. A classic mistake people make is when they do all of their grocery shopping when they’re hungry. They get overzealous and end up getting more food than they normally would have.
4. Ramp Up Your Fiber Intake – For losing weight, nothing is better than eating high amounts of fiber. Fiber is found in whole grain foods, nuts and plenty of fruits and vegetables. Fiber takes longer for the body to break it down, so you feel full for much longer and won’t start craving snacks and unhealthy foods.
5. Eat Smaller Meals As The Day Progresses – One weight loss tip that sometimes goes unnoticed, is to eat more at the beginning of the day and less at night. Think about it, you need energy to complete your tasks for the day, so it makes sense to eat a moderately large breakfast, a regular lunch and a modest dinner. Plus, it’s a good excuse to make eggs and bacon for breakfast (turkey bacon of course!).
6. Fill Up With Water – Before sitting down to a meal, have a glass or two of water. This creates a feeling of being a little full, and you won’t eat as much. Water is a good way to make sure you don’t gorge yourself, and it’s also a good way to clean your system.
7. Slow Down When Eating And Enjoy – A great weight loss tip is to make sure you are not eating too fast. When you are eating, your brain requires some time to let you know you are full. You need to be able to have a conversation while eating. If you are eating so fast that you can not hold a conversation, then you are eating too fast. Otherwise, you are good.
8. Forget The Word “Diet” And Focus On A Sustainable Lifestyle Change – If you are trying to achieve and maintain a healthy weight for life, stop dieting. Yoyo dieting leads to an overall weight gain over time and it is detrimental to your health. Instead, opt for making slow and steady permanent lifestyle changes that you can stick to for the rest of your life.
9. Cut Out Milk Or Switch To Almond Milk- Although milk really does do a body good, the fat in whole milk will wreak havoc on your waistline. So if you’re eating those fiber cereals for breakfast or enjoying a glass of milk in place of that sweet tea or glass of wine, remember to go for low-fat or non-fat milk. The taste difference is negligible, but there’s a big difference in the bottom line. Another option is to use unsweetened almond milk, it last substantially longer than regular milk, has no saturated fats and has a creamier texture than traditional non-fat milk.
10. Don’t Go It Alone – If you’re married, a dual diet might just be your ticket to losing weight. Trying a diet together is a great way to stay motivated. The two of you may start a little competition with one another and at the very least, you will have your partner there, to always remind you that you’re supposed to be on a diet. Even if you’re not married try to get a friend or family member involved.
11. Weight Isn’t Beat With Diet Alone, Get Moving Too – A type of good workout that is good for people trying to lose weight is yoga. It can be a very relaxing workout which is great for the mind, though you will also be earning an average of 350 calories for an hours workout. They have many classes you can join, or just find a good workout video and do it alone. If you find yoga is still pushing the limits of what you can do with physical activity just try walking. Walking at a medium pace of 1.5 mph – 2 mph for 1 hour can burn about 200 calories.
12. Plan Or Prep Your Meals In Advance – Planning plays a huge role in weight loss. You should always know what you are going to eat for the day, week or month. Making last minute decisions aren’t always the best choice. Have healthy foods packaged in serving sized portions, so that you can easily follow your plan.
13. Consult With A Doctor – Before beginning any diet, weight loss or exercise plan it’s a good idea to speak with your doctor. They can provide you with additional options and can help ensure that you are losing weight without putting yourself in danger.
With these simple tips you will be able to meet your weight loss goals. Take it slow and don’t fill your head with too many ideas at once. Take one, when you get that right, go for the next one. You may not feel motivated right away, but if you keep at it, you will be healthier in no time.