If you eat healthy and exercise regularly – at least three times a week for twenty to thirty minutes each time, you should be able to lose from one to two pounds a week. In order to lose one pound, you need to burn 3500 more calories each week than you consume. Riding a stationary bicycle in the comfort of your own home, listening to some inspirational music or watching TV (even reading!) can effortlessly help you accomplish your fat loss goals.
Here are some tips to get you started:
1. Before you begin any exercise program, visit your healthcare professional and get a check up. He or she can also advise you on healthy eating habits and suggest how long you should ride your exercise bike each session, and how many sessions each week are optimal for your specific circumstances. Starting slow, about ten minutes at a time, is a good goal to begin with.
2. Investigate a lot of different stationary bicycle styles and pick one that is practical for the space you have and fits your body style comfortably. Make sure it’s easy to make adjustments also, in case other family members would like to use it.
3. When you begin, set the resistance to as low as you can, especially if you haven’t exercised for a long time. As you progress, you can increase the resistance, length of time you ride the bicycle, and the speed to match your new fitness level.
4. If you can, buy a stationary bicycle that has a computer screen that tells you how fast you’re riding, how long you’ve been riding, and how many calories you are burning. This way you can see, at a glance, how many sessions it will take to lose one pound of fat. Some models also have a heart pulse monitor so you can monitor if you are in your target heart rate and take care not to exceed this rate.
5. If you don’t want to buy a stationary bicycle for use in your home, you can participate in a cycling class at a local fitness club, YMCA, or Community Center. These can be a lot of fun because the instructor can take you on a “journey” through different terrains using big screen televisions. It’s also nice to be “riding” with other class members as the camaraderie is pleasant and makes the time pass fast.